Where can I get more information about the Institute PET?

For more information you can contact us on info@zavod-pet.si and we will be happy to answer any of your questions.


How much is the annual contribution?

The annual contribution is assessed each year by the Council of the Institute. In 2019 the annual contribution was 30,00 € for the employees and 15,00 € for students, seniors and the unemployed.


Where can I get the necessary application forms to become a member or the Institute PET?

All the necessary application forms can be found on our website under the tab »JOIN US«.


I’ve just sent the Membership application form. How long do I need to wait for the Membership Commission to reply?

Enrolment procedure is conducted by the Membership Commission which informs the candidate of its acceptance within the shortest possible time.


What is the process of obtaining the title »therapy pair«?

The procedure for obtaining a licence for the therapy pair in the Institute PET takes place in the following way:


After the successful completion of all the stages of education, internship and examination the intern therapy pair- the intern and its dog- obtains the title therapy pair and thus the license of the Institute PET to conduct therapy work, which is valid for two years. Dog-trainee can become a therapy dog at the age of two years.


Do you need special training if you want to perform R.E.A.D. programme?

To perform the READ programme, it is necessary to first complete the above written educational programme for the therapy pairs. Then the dog needs to undergo further testing, followed by education for READ programme. After completing the education, the handler of the dog must pass an official examination of the R.E.A.D.® programme in English. All documentation of the therapy pair along with successfully passed test is then sent to the Intermountain Therapy Animals headquarters in the USA, which grants the pair an official license.


I have passed a BBH examination. Is this sufficient to actively practice therapy work?

No. Each candidate is required to complete professional education and the obligatory internship as well as the theoretical and practical examination in order to obtain the title therapy pair.


I’m a member of another organization/society for animal assisted therapy. Can I also be your member?

No. If you are already a member or another organization for animal assisted therapy, then you cannot simultaneously become a member of the Institute PET.


Which institutions can we visit once we become a therapy pair?

Our therapy pairs are currently carrying out the programme in the following institutions: Pediatric Clinic Ljubljana, Pediatric Clinic Maribor, the Soča University Rehabilitation Institute, Institute for Education, Work and Care dr. Marijan Borštnar Dornava, Psychiatric hospital Idrija, nursery Studenci, Retirement home Pod Gorco, branch school for education of children with special needs, as well as one-time presentational visits in primary schools and nurseries.


Which are the activities carried out by the Institute PET?

The Institute PET carries out the following dog assisted interventions (AAI):


We also carry out animal assisted interventions on specific areas:


Does the candidate for the therapy dog need to have a pedigree?

No, dog qualifying for intern therapy dog does not need to have a pedigree. Character and appropriate socialisation are important.


Can my puppy be a candidate for a therapy dog?

Your dog can carry out a suitability test for dog assisted intervention when it is physically and emotionally grown up, i.e. at least a year old, and it can obtain the title ‘therapy dog’ at the minimum age of 2 years.


My dog is deaf/blind. Can he still qualify for a therapy dog?

No. Therapy assisted interventions can only be carried out by completely healthy dogs.


What are the health requirements for a therapy dog?

All dogs must be vaccinated against all diseases as is prescribed by the law and the internal Regulation of the Institute PET.


All therapy dogs and intern therapy dogs which are active in institutions must undergo veterinary inspection twice a year. Veterinary checks are carried out by a vet who is a contractor of the Institute. Without successful completion of the veterinary checks and animal health certificate the therapy dog has no right of entry into the facility. The handler who carries out the dog assisted intervention with such a dog automatically loses its license.


Dogs entering an institution have to be healthy and groomed. The handler is obliged to regularly treat the dog against any internal and external parasites and take care of grooming (clean skin and hair, ears and eyes, trimmed claws and clean paws, clean mouth cavity).


Is the therapy dog insured?

All dogs of our active members have liability insurance.


What is the difference between AAT (Animal Assisted Therapy) and AAA (Animal Assisted Activity?

Animal Assisted Therapy is mediation where the goals for each individual are clearly set and progress is documented. The therapy is delivered over a longer time period and it includes the therapy pair (handler and dog), the user and a professional (employed in the institution).


Animal Assisted Activity is mediation where the individual’s goals are not precisely defined and progress documentation is not obligatory. The visits can be one-time and spontaneous. The activity is usually conducted by a therapy pair (handler and dog) and the user. Cooperation of a professional worker is optional.


Can the Animal Assisted Therapy users fetch any diseases from the therapy dog?

No. Conditions and standards for performing the dog assisted therapy is described in point 13. If the dog doesn’t meet the standards and conditions, it cannot perform its work.


Every PET (5) is welcome, as you help us work better